Here we go again, so H & M is back in the news with an ad that stirred criticism. However, this time around H & M stood their ground for their stance to allow their models to appear in whatever way they felt comfortable. To be honest I can’t quite fault them. In regards to that, H & M did have the sole responsibility in inciting an outrage last year with an an ad that depicted a young black boy with a hood sweatshirt that read “coolest monkey in the jungle”. Black twitter and social media went to voice their disdain over the image and photo shopped a positive slogan on the kids sweater that had the word King to describe him. Anyways getting back to the topic at hand, I don’t see anything wrong with the girls hairstyle, actually I admire it because this can show young minds to see that changing their natural hair to conform to the unnatural (straightening their hair) just to please others or make them feel comfortable around them isn’t empowering . With that said, the outrage over how H & M could dare to have this type of representation for their brand is bullshit in my opinion. So you’re criticizing this young girl for wearing her hair naturally when all she possibly sees is women in her family or around her with relaxers, weaves, etc… What the fuck?! Come on now, and to makes matters worse the black community on social media and so forth are the ones making the most noise about this. In conclusion, I think with all the backlash that is involved in this story, this might diminish her confidence and self esteem to the point where she won’t want to continue to wear or desire to wear her hair naturally and might conform to wearing it straight in the future. And that is quite disheartening. If you would like to read the article I got my source information from, it’s on the bullet point below. Anyways thanks for reading, peace and keep it real.
Your value doesn’t decrease based on someone’s inability to see your worth. You can bring so much to the table, but feel like you’ve wasted it all by someone spoiling your offerings. ©TheRhymeRula
I listen to a lot of genres of music but one that I always enjoy and gets my energy going is Funk. So everybody get a little Funk in your life and hopefully it gets you going to start you Monday off right. Check out below, Shining Star by Earth Wind & Fire.
” You’re a shining star
No matter who you are
Shining bright to see
What you could truly be”
Who else is sometimes like Keanu Reeves? Other than the popular part I can agree when it’s been a while since I’ve seen my friends. I always remind myself even if I maybe around people that…
- Many thanks to my frequent collaborator and friend Aston Kamunde for giving me his first draft to this poem, and allowing me to strengthen it.
Gentle touch as echoes pass
Remnants of the night
fell softly like feathery petals
many of them
reminding me of her
perfectly crafted in black and gold
Soft winds drew me
in and out
quenching my thirst
A thousand kisses
splattered like sunny secrets from the gods
deep with love songs.
Unaware of the impending dawn
fantasy and lust chain me
and no word feels alive
none could describe this feeling
does she remember me?
will she call me?
will she ever come back again my way?
Photo credit – Nicolas Postiglioni
- I’ve recently taken a personality test on 16personalities.com and took my time with ever question answering them honestly and with much thought, and my results were very intriguing. A close friend of mine reintroduced me into not only finding out but understanding and knowing what my personality type and traits are. I don’t think many people off the top their head can describe or know what their personality type is, and if they do not in great detail. However, this test can help you access it. This is my second go around taking a personality test. The first time was around five years ago, and I was an ITFJ, which stands for Introversion, Thinking, Feeling and Judgement. My second go around I was anointed ISFJ, Introversion, Sensing, Feeling, Judgement. Having said that, the only difference from the second time taking is that one letter was different. The first time around the “T” for thinking became an “S” sensing. On the other hand, the one definitive trait that categorized everything from me being an ISFJ was a trait called “Defender” and I’ll go into more detail about some aspects of the Defender below. Check out the site and take the test to find out for yourself what your personality traits are.
- All peace, TheRhymeRula
Strengths of the Defender:
- Highly analytical
- Detail orientated
- Defenders are “universal helpers” in other words means that they will go above and beyond for the people that they love or care about.
- One interesting thing about Defenders is that even though they are introverts they are well equipped to be around in social situations and can even thrive in them if need be.
- There is often a confusion when it comes to introversion and extroversion. Many often mistaken it as the anti social versus the social, but that’s not true. Some introverts can adapt easily and become social or even more social than the extrovert. It all depends on the circumstances.
- Defenders have great memories and that can be a gift and curse, like social situations this is all due to the circumstances that will cause them to remember what they have to.
- The SJ’s (Sensing & Judging) of the ISFJ hold the pillars of the earth. For example, if you start a company, these are the people that keep that company running, creating policies, procedures, overall business infrastructure.
- Very loyal, Defenders often form an emotional attachment to ideas and organizations they’ve dedicated themselves to.
Weaknesses of the Defender:
- Take things personally – Defenders have trouble separating personal and impersonal situations. Any negativity in interactions that results in conflicts and criticism will spill over from their professional lives in their personal ones.
- Repress feelings – Defenders are very private and sensitive. Their feelings are internalized a great deal. The way they protect others feelings is the same when it comes to theirs.
- There are many more but I will cut the post here.
Black history cannot be confined to one month because black history is made every single day, and in so many different ways. – J. Ivy
Witnessing the infinite birth of a new night,
Resting my weary head dreaming for us all to see better days,
But many setbacks have become a hindrance,
In disappointment I’ve noticed depictions and statements of self hate on all levels,
Tuning into the recurrence of young lives being perished onto concrete deathbeds
while dried blood stains and marinates the decomposition of their innocence,
Halting the essence of growth,
A deliverance of a syrupy massacre,
Breakfast is served as an armed lunatic arrives to deliver death notes,
Heroism is colorblind, but our everyday reality has too much clarity,
Only noticing the external differences,
Pinned against the burning ropes of Amerikkka,
Doing my best to shuffle past the adversity,
Floating above the canvas while stinging with reckless abandon
As I hear the bell ring,
It’s the beginning of a new round, a new day, with new objectives,
Witnessing as I rise, the infinite birth of a new morning,
Even if resolutions may seem temporary
The alleviation should not be interrupted
- After this post I’ll be 9 posts away from another milestone. Leave a like and comment if you feel the need too, and thanks for reading as I make my way to the 200th post milestone. 191 of 200 and counting… with definitely more to come. PEACE